Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Balsamic Roasted Broccoli and Ranch Potato Salad

I've been in a huge cooking mood lately (and my checking account isn't happy with all the trips to Kroger I've been making). Anytime I get a new cookbook or pull out an old one, I always find myself flipping through until I get to the dessert section. I love to bake. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that about me though. I keep telling myself to work in the cooking department rather than the baking department for a while because man can't live off desserts alone, right? Or can they.....I suppose they can but maybe with a severe case of diabetes and major blood sugar problems. ANYWAYS I'm super bad at looking at food recipes in cookbooks and deciding if they'd be good or not so I just like playing with stuff and making my own recipes. Tonight I made a childhood favorite that mom still makes a lot, oven-bbq chicken. It's really easy. All you do is boil chicken until it's done, shred it, and mix in your favorite barbecue sauce. I haven't decided on my favorite recipe for bbq sauce so I just used Sweet Baby Rays. After you mix the sauce and shredded chicken, place it in a baking dish at about 400 degrees until the bbq caramelizes. It's yummy. But for my side dishes, I roasted broccoli and made a potato salad. Yall should try them. They're good ways to switch up your usual broccoli and potatoes.

I know I'm really bad about timing my food, but I promise I'll work on that!!

Balsamic Roasted Broccoli
(enough for 1 person. Easy to make for more than one though!)

4 oz. fresh broccoli
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat to 400 degrees. Toss all ingredients in bowl. Place on cookie sheet and bake until tender.


Ranch Potato Salad
(enough for 2 people)

4 medium sized red potatoes, quartered
1 1/2 Tbsp. dry ranch dressing mix
3 Tbsp. mayo
1 t. prepared mustard
1 Tbsp. sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender when you poke them with a fork. Drain off all water and add the other ingredients. Combine well and serve!

3 comments:

  1. You better be in cooking-mode when you come home this week!! Def make these ranch potatoes. Sounds delish!!

    PS Wanna make some of AB's homemade vanilla bean icecream? We can use the old fashioned churner thingy. (He said it was the best, too. I have to believe him since he's pretty much a food genius.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeah! I have our great grandmothers recipe too that mama g gave me one time. It's good

    ReplyDelete